Gratitude for the teachings and teachers (Day 75)

100 Days of Lovingkindness
So you're here to learn something about meditation. From me, a person who enjoys sharing his experience. Perhaps you're grateful that I do that. I'm grateful you're here.
I learned meditation from many people, the first of whom was a man called Susiddhi, another Scot, who was teaching at the Glasgow Buddhist Centre in Scotland. And now that I think about it, I am very grateful for what he taught me, and I'm grateful to the many other teachers I learned from, who often taught each other. This process of teachings being passed on isn't a linear process of teacher to student. Teachers are also students of each other. Often students teach their teachers. So I'm going to say "thank you" to all these teachers, including the teachers who have been my students.
Most of those people who I learned meditation from learned to meditate, originally at least, from Sangharakshita, an Englishman who went to India to become a Buddhist monk. Now I'm very grateful indeed to Sangharakshita for having gone to India, and for having explored meditation there, and for having sought out a number of teachers, some of whom were Indian, several of whom were Tibetans who had recently left their homeland in order to escape the Chinese occupation and the persecution of their religion, and one Chinese man who happened to be living in Kalimpong. And I'm grateful to all of Sangharakshita's teachers for having passed on meditation instructions along with their other Dharma teachings. Thank you, Sangharakshita. Thank you, Dhardo Rinpoche, Yogi Chen, and all the other teachers who spent time with him.
And I'm very grateful to Sangharakshita for having returned to Britain after something like 16 years in the East, and for having set up what was at first the Western Buddhist Sangha, but which became the Western Buddhist Order, and is now the Triratna Buddhist Order, of which I'm a part.
I often wonder what my life would be like without the Dharma, and without the spiritual community of which I'm a part. I was a difficult person in my youth, and I'm not sure any of the other Buddhist organizations that were around in my young adulthood could have offered me the challenge and the friendship that I needed. We'll never know. But when I think of all the people who helped me, even though I made it hard for them to do so, I'm very grateful indeed. There have been times I've choked up and been unable to talk while expressing my gratitude. Thank you to all the people who have helped me and challenged me to grow.
I often wonder what my life would be like without the Dharma, and in fact wonder if I would even have a life. I was prone to isolation and despair when I was younger. Two of my friends, one of whom was my best friend for several years, killed themselves. I think it's possible that that might have happened to me. So I'm grateful to be here, and grateful for the Dharma that made it possible for me to be here.
And the Dharma made it not only possible for me to be here, but possible for me to live more happily, and to be a better person — easier for others to be with, and less prone to making others suffer. I'm much happier and kinder as a result of my Dharma practice.
And this Dharma, which I've immersed myself in, and which was made available to me because of the actions of a maverick monk from England who decided he was a Buddhist at the age of 16 and who spent 16 years living and teaching in India, goes back, of course, all the way to the Buddha himself, 2,500 years ago. How many teachers are there between the Buddha and Sangharakshita? We've already seen that the process of Dharma "transmission" (I use the scare quotes so that what I'm saying won't be confused with the linear Zen idea of transmission) isn't linear. The route back to the Buddha isn't like a river flowing straight to the ocean, but like entwined braid of criss-crossing streams. The number of teachers between me (or Sangharakshita) and the Buddha is literally uncountable. How many people there are for me to feel gratitude for? There's no shortage!
And there's the Buddha himself. One of the things I most admire about him, and that I'm most grateful for, is that he refused to settle. He said he felt a "thorn in the heart," and he didn't settle for putting up with that. He had a comfortable life, even if he wasn't the prince that legend makes him out to be. He didn't settle, and went off wandering. He attained deep states of meditation with Alara Kalama and Uddaka Ramaputta, and could have settled for those spiritual accomplishments, but he didn't. Nor did he settle for becoming a leader of either man's group. He explored asceticism, and didn't settle. And then he rediscovered the jhanas, and didn't settle for those, either, although he realized that these were the path to awakening. And he didn't settle until he'd found the thorn in his heart and plucked it out. He could have just enjoyed the rest of his days peacefully meditating, but again he didn't settle, and spent 45 years relentlessly wandering and teaching. How fortunate for us! Or for me, anyway. I'm deeply grateful for his perseverance, and even though he's long dead I say "Thank you," and bow deeply.
And it's incredibly lucky that the Dharma found its way through the centuries — found its way to us. It seems that had been enlightened teachers before the Buddha, but they were pre-Iron Age, and a society living at a subsistence level couldn't support an ongoing spiritual community. We call these previous awakened individuals Paccekabuddhas, solitary Buddhas, not because they lived alone (as people erroneously think) but because they were isolated in time, leaving no enduring legacy. In the Buddha's own day there was once a drought so severe that people criticized the monks and nuns for begging from householders. This was potentially a lineage-killing event. We're lucky the sangha survived this. Yoga was in fact wiped out in India by persecution from Hindus and Muslims, and it's only because Buddhist scriptures were transported to Sri Lanka that we have an extensive collection of records of early Yoga. There's much to be grateful for.
Being grateful makes me happy. And every moment in my life is an opportunity to be grateful. I should make more effort to remember that!
PS. You can see all of our 100 Days of Lovingkindness Posts here.
Read More @ Source


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Centerville fair offers alternative health practices

Radha Soami Satsang Beas loses another believer

Gurinder Singh's son become CEO of Religare subsidiary